The Reformed Presbyterian Church has it’s roots in Scotland and those Ministers who came over to Ulster to pastor Scots Presbyterians at the time of the plantation, and to help bring the reformed faith in its purest form to the island. These Presbyterians were sometimes referred to as ‘Covenanters’ due to their adherence to solemn promises by which they vowed to uphold Jesus Christ as rightful King in the Church and over the State. The name Covenanters and their aspiration is one today we continue to gladly share with them. To read more about the Covenanters; Click Here.
Rathfriland Reformed Presbyterian congregation was formed in the 1770′s under the itinerant ministry of Rev. William Stavely. The meeting house was erected in 1777, was rebuilt in 1861 and still the worship centre of the congregation. Due to the foundation of rock on which the meeting house was built, the building and indeed the congregation are known locally as ”The Rock”. Including Rev. Stavely, the congregation has been served by fourteen minsters over the past two hundred and thirty-five years.
Twenty-eight men from the congregation have been called to the minstry and have pastored congregations in Ireland, as well as those in Scotland, North America and also in the service of the Irish and Foreign Missions of the R.P. Church.
R.P. missions are supported by prayer and giving. The congregation also supports Christian outreach without the bounds of the R.P. Church, currently work in Mexico, India and Phillipines.
The congregation is self-supporting and endeavours to provide a Christian witness within the local community.